ABOUT US 

 

Clergy

 

    Canon David Grant EV (Parish Priest)

 

 

 

 

 

     Fr. Francis Sutcliffe (01482 864674)                     

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

        ( Fr David Pick )

 General
  • SVP; Word of Life Group (last Friday in every month); Choirs at both the Saturday and Sunday Masses (new members always welcome); Sacramental Preparation by Parish Catechists; Children’s liturgy during term-time at the Sunday Mass; Flower arranging  team; Church cleaning team (regular or one-off help for Christmas and/or Easter is always welcomed!)

HISTORY

Located just outside North Bar, the only survivor of Beverley's four medieval gates. St John of Beverley Church was built in 1897 by the Hull based architects Smith, Brodrick and Lowther and the builder George Pape. It is an example of Victorian Gothic style. Renowned architectural expert Nikolaus Pevsner described this attractive red brick church as 'Gothic in a free, playful way, with an asymmetrically placed turret'. The church was first used for mass on Christmas Day 1897 and formally opened on 10 March 1898. It was not, however, consecrated until 7 May 1999. The dedication is to St. John of Beverley, formerly Bishop of Hexham and Bishop of York, who retired to the monastery he founded in Beverley. He died there c.721 and was canonised 1037. 

 

For more information a guide by the late John Markham is available in the church. 

Tel: 01482 882321         

5 North Bar Without, Beverley HU17 7AG